The Latest: Syrian Refugee Crisis Reportby Church Resource Team on July 28, 2016
More than 12 million people have suffered the loss of loved ones, homes, jobs, and all sense of wellness and security since violence broke out in Syria during the Arab Spring of 2011. To visualize how immense this tragedy is, imagine everyone in the Los Angeles metro area being forced to leave their homes. Consider further that they are leaving their livelihoods, churches, schools, and communities, and are taking with them only what they can carry.
The war has contributed to a current death toll of more than 250,000 Syrians, 6.6 million persons displaced within Syria, 3.3 million displaced in Iraq, and 4.8 million refugees who have migrated to neighboring countries and Europe. UNICEF estimates that more than 8.4 million children are affected, and 2.8 million are missing out on their education. To date, World Vision has reached 2.37 million people in Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Serbia, and Turkey.
Read this update that describes more of the critical work churches like yours are making possible. We thank you for your generosity and offer still more tangible ways your congregation can put their faith and Christian love into action to help refugees.
Our Refugee Sunday kit has powerful resources to help inspire your congregation to respond to the urgent needs of child refugees.
- Videos, photos, and story cards to connect your congregation to the stories of child refugees
- Talking points and sermon topics for your weekend services
- A 4-session Discussion and Prayer Guide for your small groups
- Ideas for a refugee lobby experience
- An interactive, week-long text campaign to help your congregation experience the lives of child refugees.